Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chocolate Cake?

My all time favorite cake recipe is from the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. There is nothing better. My sister is the one who told me she made it and really liked it. I had never tried it before and Hershey's Cocoa is a staple in my pantry and always has been. Anyway it is so moist and very easy to make. I had doubts at first because you add 1 cup of boiling water to the batter and the batter is so thin, but it made the best chocolate cake I have ever had! It was so good I do not need to make frosting for it. Let me tell you it really works when you need a chocolate fix too. Well I've been in the mood for a vanilla cake and vanilla milk for a couple weeks now
( that is another story) and I usually make a Hot Milk cake recipe but decided to try the Hershey's recipe without the chocolate to see if it is just as good as the chocolate recipe! It worked! I substituted flour for the cocoa and followed the rest of the recipe exactly. The result was great! Although I have a can of cream cheese frosting standing by, the cake is good without it.
Here's the recipe.
Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake Altered

2 cups sugar         
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour              
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda                      
1 teaspoon salt                  
2 eggs
1 cup milk            
1/2 cup coconut oil          
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan or 2 nine inch round pans  and I would guess a 13x9 pan would work too, although I have not tried it.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in boiling water(batter will be very thin). Pour into pans and bake 30-35 mins. until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment